Statement on Korfball matches and training
The England Korfball Board, Competitions Sub-Committee, International Strategic Committee and Grand Finals organising committee have been closely monitoring the developments regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and our responsibilities to our players, fans, volunteers, spectators and their families and friends.
Amid rising concerns about the spread of COVID-19, the recommendations for individuals to self-isolate, the likely closure of many facilities and the recent cancellation today by the IKF of the U19 OEKC 2020 in April, we are of the view that unfortunately it will not be possible to play out our current korfball season.
With this in mind, we have taken the following difficult decisions with immediate effect:
– All EKL Premier and Promo games are cancelled until further notice
– All international squad training is cancelled until further notice
– We strongly recommend that ALL local and regional korfball games are cancelled until further notice. We will be contacting all Area Associations and regional league administrators to confirm this
– The National Schools Championship is cancelled for this year
– The Senior Inter-Area scheduled for 16 May is cancelled for this year
Clubs will need to make their own decisions about whether to continue training at the current time.
Our major priorities are to limit the possibilities for the spread of the COVID-19 virus via korfball, to protect the health of everyone involved and to take early decisions where possible to allow for clarity and planning.
The situation is being reviewed on a day-to-day basis. We will provide updates as appropriate and anticipate posting a further update by 3 April at the latest.
For more information and advice about coronavirus please visit the NHS website.